Sunday, January 22, 2012

LaunchPad MSP430 Fan Blog


I have long admired the creative development kits that Texas Instruments (TI) has come up with over the years: USB programming dongels with detatchable processor boards, wireless links, even a wrist watch with a RF link, accelerometer and temperature sensor. These kits are inexpensive (all under $100, several under $20) and the MSP430 is a versatile chip. Over the last 10 years, I have purchased a variety of them; but quicky run into some high hurdles and steep learning curves that frustrated my efforts. Novice teaching materials took a few years to catch up with TI's innovative products. I would attack the 430 for a few months, and then go back to something easy , like a PICAXE processor, (in BASIC), to feel a small sense of accomplishment, though I knew I was reverting back to the 'little league' of embedded programming. Fortunately a workshop has been composed for the TI LaunchPad board, which is extremely detailed, (i.e. even for 'dummies' like me) that explains and de-encrypts the C code needed to control the MSP430 line of processors. They practically give the kit away at under $5, and the free versions of Code Composer Studio (CCS), IAR, GRACE and other tools are of phenominal value. I just successfully completed all of the experiments in the entire 182 page LaunchPad workshop (less the capacitive touchpad, 'cause I didn't have one) and I could not be happier with the system, literature and TI. Not only did this make sense of the MSP430G2231 chip included; but it opened the door to my making use of all of the other hardware that I have purchased over the years: the RF links, my Chronos watch and the USB dongles.

The bar for MSP430 is higher than for PICAXE BASIC: anyone climbing this hill will have to be more committed and willing to wade through nearly 1000 pages of references (see link to list below). However, the extra effort will be rewarded through understanding at a much deeper level how the processor operates, and in having much more control of how it carries out instructions and even controlling its power consumption. Now that I have performed all of the labs, I'm going back through all of the code to study just how and why each register was set they way they were; and then I will pursue some of my own projects. Ultimately, I'd like to teach a small group of people how to do this.

Essential References [Link]

My other Interests [Link]

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I love the MSP430 launchpad. It's so inexpensive. I found a great MSP430 tutorial about it. Are you planning on posting more information?

    ReplyDelete